I. G. Emelyanov
APPLYING THE METHOD OF VIRTUAL ELEMENTS TO SOLVING CONTACT PROBLEMS OF SHELLS OF REVOLUTION INTERACTING WITH SURFACES OF INCONSISTENT SHAPE
An approach based on the method of virtual elements is used to solve the contact problem for a thin shell of revolution lying on a rigid foundation. In this case, the surface of the base has a shape inconsistent with the surface of the shell. The method makes it possible to determine the contact area and the contact pressure from the contact area unknown in two coordinate directions. Since the contact area is not known in advance, the problem is structurally nonlinear. A thin isotropic shell is described by the classical theory based on the Kirchhoff–Love hypotheses. The base is taken absolutely rigid, but with the presence of an elastic gasket. The shell equations are integrated by S. K. Godunov’s method of discrete orthogonalization. To determine the forces of interaction between the shell and the base, a mixed method of structural mechanics is used. With this aim in view, the maximum possible contact area is discretized by virtual rectangular elements. A constant value of the contact pressure is assumed on each element obtained in this area, and the contact pressure is assumed to be zero on the elements in the area where the shell leaves the base. Based on the assumptions, a system of linear algebraic equations is constructed, which determines the contact pressure and deflection of the shell circumference axis. Since the shell can move away from the base, iterative procedures are applied to search for the real contact area, which depends on the geometric and elastic parameters of the shell and the magnitude of the external load. As an example, the contact interaction of a cylindrical shell (part of the shell of a tank car) lying on a rigid base with a gasket is considered. It is shown how the contact area and contact pressure change depending on the rigidity of the gasket and the difference between the radii of the shell and the base (inconsistency in the shape of the surfaces).
Acknowledgments: The study was carried out in accordance with state assignment No. AAAA-A18-118020790140-5 for the IES UB RAS.
Keywords: contact problem, shell of revolution, contact pressure, Fredholm equation, Green’s function, regular-ization parameter, virtual element, mixed structural mechanics method, Godunov’s discrete orthog-onalization method
- Vorovich I.I., Alekcandrov V.M., eds. Mechanika kontaktnykh vzaimodeystviy [Mechanics of Contact Interactions]. Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 2001, 672 p. (In Russian).
- Johnson K.L. Contact Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, 1985, 452 p.
- Bourago N.G., Kukudzhanov V.N. A review of contact algorithms. Mech. Solids, 2005, vol. 40, iss.1, 35–71.
- Kikuchi N., Oden J.T. Contact Problems in Elasticity: A Study of Variational Inequalities and Finite Element Methods, Studies in Applied and Numerical Mathematics, Philadelphia, 1988, 485 p.
- Aliabadi M.H. and Brebbia C.A., eds. Computational Methods in Contact Mechanics, Southampton, Boston, Computational Mechanics Publ., Cop., 1993, 352 p.
- Hertz H. Über die Berührung fester elastischer Körper. Journal für die reine und angewandte Mathematik, 1881, 92, 156–171.
- Shtaerman I.Ya. Kontaktnaya zadacha teorii uprugosti [Contact Problem of the Theory of Elasticity]. Moscow, Leningrad, Gostekhizdat Publ., 1949, 270 p. (In Russian).
- Grigolyuk E.I. and Tolkachev V.M. Contact Problems in the Theory of Plates and Shells. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1987, 424 p.
- Kantor B.Ya. Kontaktnye zadachi nelineinoi teorii obolochek vrashcheniya [Contact Problems for Nonlinear Theory of Revolving Shells]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1990. (In Russian).
- Artyukhin Yu.P., Malkin S.A. Analiticheskie i chislennye metody integralnykh uravneniy v zadachakh uprugogo vozdeistviya tel [Analytical and Numerical Methods for Solving Integral Equations in Problems of Elastic Action of Bodies]. Kazan, Kazanskiy Gos. Un-t Publ., 2007, 292 p. (In Russian).
- Lukasevich S. Lokalnye nagruzki v plastinakh i obolochkakh [Local Loads in Plates and Shells]. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1982, 544 p. (In Russian).
- Tikhonov A.N., Arsenin V.Ya. Metody resheniya nekorrektnykh zadach [Methods of Solving Ill-Posed Problems], 2nd edition, Moscow, Nauka Publ., 285 p. (In Russian).
- Wriggers P. Computational Contact Mechanics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 518 p. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-32609-0.
- Podgornyy A.N., Gontarovskiy P.P., Kirkach B.N., Matyukhin Yu.I., Khavin G.L. Zadachi kontaktnogo vzaimodeystviya elementov konstruktsiy [The Tasks of Contact Interaction of a Construction Elements]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1989, 232 p. (In Russian).
- Grigorenko Ya.M., Vasilenko A.T., Emel’yanov I.G. et al. Statika elementov konstruksiy [Statics of Structural Members. Vol. 8 of the 12-Volume Series Mechanics of Composites]. Kiev, A.S.K. Publ., 1999. (In Russian).
- Emel'yanov I.G. Numerical analysis of contact interaction of cylindrical shells. Soviet Applied Mechanics, 1987, 23, 569–573. DOI: 10.1007/BF00887024.
- Emelyanov I.G. A study of contact interaction of two-layer shells. Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 1996, 37, pp. 129–134. DOI: 10.1007/BF02369412.
- Emelyanov I.G. Contact interaction of shells of revolution over unknown two-dimensional regions. International Applied Mechanics, 1997, 33, 548–555. DOI: 10.1007/BF02700735.
- Emelyanov I.G. Investigation into the contact interaction between shell and base with notches. Journal of Machinery Manufacture and Reliability, 2015, 44, 263–270. DOI: 10.3103/S1052618815030048.
- Emelyanov I.G., Kuznetsov A.V. Application of virtual elements for determination of stress state of rotational shells. Computational Continuum Mechanics, 2014, 7 (3), 245–252. DOI: 10.7242/1999-6691/2014.7.3.24. (In Russian).
- Emelyanov I.G. Application of discrete Fourier series to the stress analysis of shell structures. Computational Continuum Mechanics, 2015, 8 (3), 245–253. DOI: 10.7242/1999-6691/2015.8.3.20. (In Russian).
- Grigorenko Ya.M., Vasilenko A.T. Teoriya obolochek peremennoy zhestkosti [Theory of Shells of Variable Stiffness. Vol. 4. Methods of Shell Design]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1981, 544 p. (In Russian).
- Godunov S.K. Numerical solution of boundary-value problems for systems of linear ordinary differential equations. Uspekhi Mat. Nauk, 1961, 16, 3 (99), 171–174. (In Russian).
- Timoshenko S., Gere J. Mechanics of Materials, 2nd ed., Monterey (Calif.), Brooks/Cole engineering div., 1984, 762 p.
- Mossakovsky V.I., Gudramovych V.S., and Makeev E.M. Contactnoe vzaimodeiostvie elementov obolochechnykh konstruktsii [Contact Interactions of Elements of Shell Structures]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1988, 288 p. (In Russian).
- Petrovsky I. G. Lektsii po teorii integralnykh uravneniy [Lectures on the Theory of Integral Equations]. Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 1965, 128 p. (In Russian).
- Gallagher R.H. Finite Element Analysis: Fundamentals, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1975, 420 p.
- Rabinovich I.M. Voprosy teorii staticheskogo rascheta sooruzheniy s odnostoronnimi svyzyami [Problems in the Theory of Static Calculation of Structures with One-Way Communications]. Moscow, Stroyizdat Publ., 1975, 144 p. (In Russian).
Emelyanov I. G. Applying the Method of Virtual Elements to Solving Contact Problems of Shells of Revolution Interacting with Surfaces of Inconsistent Shape // Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2023. - Iss. 2. - P. 19-40. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2023.2.019-040. -