T. P. Tolmachev, V. P. Pilyugin, N. V. Nikolaeva, A. I. Ancharov, A. M. Patselov, Yu. V. Solov’eva, T. I. Chashchukhina, L. M. Voronova, M. V. Degtyarev
EFFECT OF CRYODEFORMATION BY HIGH-PRESSURE TORSION
ON THE FRACTURE SURFACE OF Au-Co ALLOYS
Au-Co alloys with limited solubility were synthesized by the high-pressure torsion in boiling nitrogen at various anvil revolutions. Au and Co were initially in the state of a powder mixture in an equiatomic ratio. The obtained alloys were subjected to SEM fractography and XRD analysis in transmission X-ray synchrotron radiation, depending on the amount of strain. It is shown that the morphology of the fracture surfaces of the synthesized alloy depends significantly on strain. It is revealed that the mutual mixing of the components increases with strain. The images of the fracture surfaces of the Au-Co alloys testify that, as the strain and the number of anvil revolutions increase, a transition from ductile fracture, with inclusions of brittle intergranular fracture, to uniformly ductile fracture is observed over the entire thickness of the sample. A further increase in the strain and the number of anvil revolutions corresponds to the transition from the ductile type of the fracture surface to the brittle one. In addition, the fractography of the Au-Co alloys has revealed that the relief of the fracture surface becomes more homogeneous and that the size of the structural elements of the fracture surface decreases with increasing strain.
Acknowledgments: The materials were produced and processed at the IMP UB RAS, Ekaterinburg. The electron microscopic investigations were performed by means of the equipment of the Testing Center
of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials shared research facilities of the IMP UB RAS, Ekaterin-burg. The X-ray synchrotron measurements were made with the Hard X-Ray Diffractometry experi-mental station of the Siberian Synchrotron and Terahertz Radiation Center shared research facilities, BINP SB RAS, Novosibirsk.
The research was performed partially under the state assignment from the Russian Ministry of Education and Science (theme Pressure, No. 122021000032-5), and it was financially supported by the RFBR, project No. 19-32-60039.
Keywords: Au-Co alloys, mechanical alloying, high-pressure torsion, fracture
- Miedema A.R., De Chatel P.F., De Boer F.R. Cohesion in alloys – fundamentals of a semi-empirical model. Physica B, 1980, vol. 100, pp. 1–28. DOI: 10.1016/0378-4363(80)90054-6.
- Okamoto H., Massalski T.B., Hasebe M., Nishizawa T. The Au-Co (Gold-Cobalt) system. Bulletin of Alloy Phase Diagrams, 1985, vol. 6, pp. 449–454. DOI: 10.1007/BF02869509.
- Barabash O.M. and Koval’ Yu.N. Struktura i svoistva metallov i splavov: Spravochnik [The Structure and Properties of Metals and Alloys: Handbook]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1986. (In Russian).
- Svoystva elementov: spravochnik [Properties of Elements: A Handbook, ed. by M.E. Drits]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1985]. (In Russian).
- Bernardi J., Hutten A., Thomas G. GMR behavior of nanostructured heterogeneous M-Co (M=Cu, Ag, Au) alloys. Nanostructured Materials, 1996, vol. 7, Nos. l/2, pp. 205–220. DOI: 10.1016/0965-9773(95)00310-X.
- Park J., Bae S.H., Son I. Improved contact resistance and solderability of electrodeposited Au-Sn alloy layer with high thermal stability for electronic contacts. Applied Surface Science, 2021, vol. 551, pp. 149405. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2021.149405.
- Fredriksson H., Sunnerkrantz P.A., Wictorin L. A binary dental gold-cobalt alloy of eutectic composition. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, 1983, vol. 41, iss. 3, pp. 135–141. DOI: 10.3109/00016358309162314.
- Zhou Y., Wang X., Huang X., Deng H., Hu Y. Construction of a gold-cobalt alloy catalyst to enhance the green reduction of carbon dioxide. Journal of CO2 Utilization. 2022, vol. 65, pp. 102245. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcou.2022.102245.
- Glezer A.M., Kozlov E.V., Koneva N.A., Popova N.A., Kurzina I.A. Plastic Deformation of Nanostructured Materials. London, New York, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2017, 334 p. DOI: 10.1201/9781315111964.
- Harsha R.N., Mithun Kulkarni V., Satish Babu B. Severe Plastic Deformation – A Review. In: Materials Today: proceedings, 2018, vol. 5, iss. 10, part 3, pp. 22340–22349. DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2018.06.600.
- Degtyarev M.V. Multistage nature of the structure evolution in iron and structural steels upon shear under pressure. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2005, vol. 99, No. 6, pp. 595–608.
- Tolmachev T.P., Pilyugin V.P., Ancharov A.I., Chernyshev E.G., Patselov A.M. The formation, structure, and properties of the Au–Co alloys produced by severe plastic deformation under pressure. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2016, vol. 117, pp. 135–142. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X16020125.
- Tolmachev T.P., Pilyugin V.P., Patselov A.M., Antonova O.V., Chernyshev E.G., Ancharov A.I., Degtyarev M.V. Stages of Mechanical Alloying in Systems with Different Solubility Cu–Zn and Au–Co in the Case of Cold and Low-Temperature Deformation by Torsion Under Pressure. Russian Physics Journal, 2018, vol. 61, pp. 942–948. DOI: 10.1007/s11182-018-1481-8.
- B.A. Miller, R.J. Shipley, R.J. Parrington, D.P. Dennies, eds. Failure Analysis and Prevention: ASM Handbook, vol. 11, Materials Park, OH, ASM International, 2021, 856 p.
- Nassef A.E., Alateyah A.I., El-Hadek M.A., El-Garaihy W.H. Mechanical behavior and fracture surface characterization of liquid-phase sintered Cu-Sn powder alloys. Advanced Materials Letters, 2017, vol. 8, iss. 6, pp. 717–722. DOI: 10.5185/amlett.2017.1485.
- Korznikova G.F., Korznikova E.A., Khalikova G.R., Nazarov K.S., Khisamov R.Kh., Sergeev S.N., Shayakhmetov R.U., Mulyukov R.R. Al based layered in situ metal-matrix composites fabricated by constrained high pressure torsion. Letters on Materials, 2021, vol. 11 (4s), pp. 533–543. DOI: 10.22226/2410-3535-2021-4-533-543.
- Chernyshev E.G., Pilyugin V.P., Patselov A.M., Serikov V.V., Kleinerman N.M. Study of the phase composition and homogeneity of Fe-Cu alloys prepared by mechanoactivation under pressure. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2001, vol. 92, No. 2, pp. 179–184.
- Ancharov A.I. The use of hard synchrotron radiation for diffraction studies of composite and functional materials. Russian Physics Journal, 2017, vol. 60, pp. 543–549. DOI: 10.1007/s11182-017-1106-7.
Effect of Cryodeformation by High-Pressure Torsion on the Fracture Surface of Au-Co Alloys / T. P. Tolmachev, V. P. Pilyugin, N. V. Nikolaeva, A. I. Ancharov, A. M. Patselov, Yu. V. Solov’eva, T. I. Chashchukhina, L. M. Voronova, M. V. Degtyarev // Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2022. - Iss. 6. - P. 6-15. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2022.6.006-015. -