S. E. Danilov
MICROSTRUCTURE EVOLUTION IN A Fe-Ni-Si ALLOY DURING HEAT TREATMENT AND ELECTRON IRRADIATION
Experiments have been made on studying structural and phase changes by the residual resistivity method in a Fe-Ni-Si alloy during annealing and electron irradiation. Thermal diffusion starts above 600 K and ensures decomposition of the solid solution up to 700 K; at higher temperatures it provides homogenization of the solid solution with the dissolution of intermetallic compounds in accordance with the equilibrium phase diagram. It is shown that, upon irradiation with electrons above 240 K, vacancy clusters are formed in both the aged and quenched alloys. Dissociation of clusters occurs at temperatures ranging between 350 and 500 K and leads to solid solution decomposition under the influence of diffusion caused by migrating vacancies with the formation of intermetallic precipitates. Irradiation at 423 K causes migration of vacancies and decomposition of the solid solution. In alloys irradiated at both temperatures above 700 K, as well as in unirradiated alloys, the precipitates dissolve in accordance with a single equilibrium dependence.
Acknowledgments: The work was performed under the state assignment from the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia, theme Function, No. 0388-2019-0004.
Keywords: microstructure, Fe-Ni-Si alloy, irradiation, intermetallic compounds, electrical resistance, homogenization, solid solution decomposition, diffusion
- Voyevodin V.N., Neklyudov I.M., Bryk V.V., Borodin O.V. Microstructural evolution and radiation stability of steels and alloys. J. Nucl. Mater., 1999, vol. 271–272, pp. 290–295. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3115(98)00785-5.
- Dimitrov C., Dimitrov O. Composition dependence of defect properties in electron irradiated Fe-Cr-Ni solid solutions. J. Phys. F: Metal Phys., 1984, vol. 14, pp. 793–811. DOI:10.1088/0305-4608/14/4/005.
- Arbuzov V.L., Goshchitskii B.N., Danilov S.E., Kar'kin A.V., Perminov D.A. Effect of neutron and electron irradiation on radiation-induced separation of solid solutions in the Fe-Ni and Fe-Ni-P ALLOYS. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2008. vol. 106, No. 3. pp. 266–275. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X08090068.
- Sagaradze V.V., Pavlov V.A., Alyabiev V.M., Goshchitskiy B.N., Kozlov A.V., Lapin S.S., Loguntsev Ye.N., Nalesnik V.M., Khakhalkin N.V., Shalayev V.I., Gaydukov M.G., Sergeyev G.A. The influence of intermetallic ageing during irradiation by fast neutrons on void formation in austenitic stainless steels. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 1988, vol. 65, No. 5, pp. 128–135.
- Druzhkov A.P., Perminov D.A., Davletshin A.E. The effect of alloying elements on the vacancy defect evolution in electron-irradiated austenitic Fe–Ni alloys studied by positron annihilation. J. Nucl. Mat., 2009, 384 (1), pp. 56–60. DOI: 10.1016/j.jnucmat.2008.10.002.
- Druzhkov A.P., Arbuzov V.L., and Danilov S.E. The effect of deuterium and tritium on formation and annealing of vacancy-type defects in deformed nickel. Physica Status Solidi (a) Applications and Materials Science, 2008, vol. 205, iss. 7, pp. 1546–1551. DOI: 10.1002/pssa.200723494.
- Couderchon G., Porteseil J.L. Some properties of nickel-rich commercial Fe–Ni alloys. In: G. Beranger et al., eds. The Iron–Nickel alloys, Lavoisier Publishing, 1996, pp. 29–58.
- Arbuzov V.L., Danilov S.E., Druzhkov A.P., Perminov D.A. The influence of plastic deformation and radiation defects on the structural and phase transformations of N36 and N36T2 austenitic alloys. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2004, vol. 98, No. 5, pp. 500–505.
- Takeda Shuzo, Iwama Yoshiroh, Sakakura Akira. On the Equilibrium Diagram of Fe-Ni-Si System and the Ternary Compound σ-Phase Appearing in This System (Fundamental Research of Constant Permeability Alloys, 2nd Report). Journal of the Japan Institute of Metals and Materials, 1960, vol. 24, iss. 8, pp. 534–538. DOI: 10.2320/jinstmet1952.24.8_534.
- Alisova S.P., Budberg P.B., Ageev N.V. Diagrammy sostoyaniya metallicheskikh system [State diagrams of metal systems]. Moscow, Lyubertsy, VINITI Publ., 1971, iss. 15, 263 p. (In Russian).
Danilov S. E. Microstructure Evolution in a Fe-Ni-Si Alloy During Heat Treatment and Electron Irradiation // Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2021. - Iss. 5. - P. 36-43. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2021.5.036-043. -