P. A. Polyakov, A. V. Dolmatov, V. L. Kolmykov, O. V. Romanova, M. N. Zakharov
EFFECT OF SINTERING ON THE STRENGTH OF IRON-BASED POWDER COMPOSITES
The effect of sintering on the mechanical properties of iron-based vanadium-containing powders with various additives is studied. The results of uniaxial compression testing show that specimens made of the powder without additives and compositions with zinc or copper change their shape from cylindrical to barrel-type with increasing pressure, whereas less dense powder specimens with phosphorus collapse. The cylindrical shape of specimens with graphite as an additive remains unchanged. After sintering, the Brinell hardness for the iron powder without additives and the compositions with zinc or copper decreases, and it increases for the powders with phosphorus and those with graphite, particularly for the composition with graphite. Sintered briquettes with graphite have much higher values of Brinell hardness and compressive strength than the other compositions. The compressive yield strength of the investigated billets has been determined.
Keywords: strength, Brinell hardness, sintering, iron powder, compression testing
1. Metally i splavy. Spravochnik [Metals and Alloys. Reference Book, ed. Yu.P. Solntsev]. St. Petersburg, Professional, 2003, 1062 p. (In Russian).
2. Material and Powder Properties. Höganäs Handbook for Sintered Components. Höganäs AB, Sweden, 2013.
3. Andrievsky R.A. Poroshkovoe materialovedenie [Powder Material Science]. M., Metallurgiya, 1991, 205 p. (In Russian).
4. Roman O.V., Gabrielov I.P. Spravochnik po poroshkovoi metallurgii: poroshki, materialy, protsessy [Handbook of Powder Metallurgy: Powders, Materials, Processes]. Minsk, Belarus, 1988, 175 p. (In Russian).
5. Fedorchenko I.M., Frantsevich I.D., Radomyselsky I.D., Kovalchenko M.S. Poroshkovaya metallurgiya: materialy, svoiystva, oblast primeneniya. Spravochnik [Powder metallurgy. Materials, Properties, Application. Reference Book]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka, 1985, 624 p. (In Russian).
6. Polyakov P.A., Kolmykov V.L., Polyakov A.P. A study of extrusion of composite materials based on vanadium-containing iron powder. Kuznechnoshtampovochnoe proizvodstvo. Obrabotka Metallov Davleniem, 2013, no. 5, pp. 14–18. (In Russian).
7. Zalazinsky G.G., Shchennikova T.L., Zalazinsky G.G. (Jr.), Mitrofanov V.Ya. The properties of powder mixtures and materials based on iron with the addition of iron-phosphorus powder. Perspektivnye Materialy, 2013, no. 10, pp. 41–46. (In Russian).
8. Savintsev P.P., Ryabova R.F. Effect of the particle size of pulverized iron powders and molding pressure on the properties of powder materials. Fizika i Khimiya Obrabotki Materialov, 2004, no. 2, pp. 78–83. (In Russian).
9. Chaurasia S.K., Prakash U., Misra P.S., Chandra K. Development of P/M Fe–P soft magnetic materials. Bull. Mater. Sci., 2012, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 191–196. DOI: 10.1007/s12034-012-0272-z.
10. Oglezneva S.A., Mikhailov A.O., Zubko I.Y. Influence of Carbon on the Formation of Structure during Mechanical Alloying and Sintering of Powder Steels. Russian Journal of Nonferrous Metals, 2008, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 283–289. DOI: 10.3103/S1067821208040147.
Effect of Sintering on the Strength of Iron-Based Powder Composites [Electronic resource] / P. A. Polyakov, A. V. Dolmatov, V. L. Kolmykov, O. V. Romanova, M. N. Zakharov
// Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2017. - Iss. 1. - P. 13-23. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2017.1.013-023. -