S. A. Starikov, A. R. Kuznetsov, Yu. N. Gornostyrev, V. V. Sagaradze
DEFORMATION-INDUCED SEGREGATION IN AUSTENITIC ALLOYS
This article covers an overview of recent works devoted to the theoretical study of deformation-induced segregation in austenitic alloys as an example. A theoretical model describing non-equilibrium strain-induced segregation in a ternary alloy during severe plastic deformation is discussed. The model accounts for the generation of point defects, their annihilation at the sinks (such as grain boundaries), as well as mutual recombination. Based on the proposed model, the redistribution of the atoms of the alloying elements and the formation of grain boundary segregations during severe plastic deformation are investigated on the example of the Fe-12Cr-30Ni austenitic alloy. It is shown by the molecular dynamics method that in the Fe-30Ni binary alloy nickel atoms do not have their own thermodynamic incentives for segregation to the grain boundaries. The calculations demonstrate that the main contribution to the formation of segregations is due to the non-equilibrium flows of point defects (vacancies and internode atoms), which develop during severe plastic deformation. The obtained results explain the features of the formation of segregations in the Fe-Cr-Ni alloy during severe plastic deformation.
Keywords: severe plastic deformation, grain boundary, deformation-induced segregation, austenitic alloy.
- Sagaradze V.V., Uvarov A.I. Uprochnenie i svoistva austenitnykh stalei [Hardening and Properties of Austenitic Steels]. Ekaterinburg, UrO RAN Publ., 2013, 720 p. (In Russian).
- Watanabe S., Takamatsu Y., Sakaguchi N., Takahashi H. Sink effect of grain boundary on radiation-induced segregation in austenitic stainless steel. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2000, vols. 283–287, part 1, pp. 152–156. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3115(00)00204-X.
- Valiev R.Z., Zhilyaev A.P., Langdon T.G. Bulk nanostructured materials: Fundamentals and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2014, 436 p.
- Deryagin A.I., Zavalishin V.A., Sagaradze V.V., Kuznetsov A.R. Low-temperature strain-induced atomic segregation in chromium-nickel steels. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2000, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 610–621.
- Deryagin A.I., Zavalishin V.A., Sagaradze V.V., Kuznetsov A.R., Ivchenko V.A., Vildanova N.F., Efros B.M. Effect of composition and temperature on the redistribution of alloying elements in Fe-Cr-Ni alloys during cold deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2008, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 291–311. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X08090093.
- Ermakov A.E., Gapontsev V.L., Kondratiev V.V., Gornostyrev Yu.N. Deformation-induced phase instability in nanocrystalline alloys. Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenie, 1999, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 5–12.
- Gapontsev V.L., Deryagin A.I., Gapontseva T.M. Interpretation of temperature dependences of the composition distribution in nanostructured alloys under severe plastic deformation. Fizicheskaya mezomekhanika, 2009, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 53–62. (In Russian).
- Rozhanskiy V.N., Sizova N.L., Urusovskaya A.A. Crowdion plasticity CsI. Fizika Tverdogo Tela, 1971, vol. 13, iss. 2, pp. 411–415. (In Russian).
- Chaudhri M.N., Hagan J.T., Wells J.K. Observations of contact damage in MgO and LiF crystals by cathodoluminescence. Journal of Materials Science, 1980, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1189–1193.
- Velednitskaya M.A., Rozhanskii V.N., Comolova L.F., Saparin G.V., Schreiber J., Brümmer O. Investigation of the deformation mechanism of MgO crystals affected by concentrated load. Physica Status Solidi (a), 1975, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 123–132.
- Golovin Yu.I., Tyurin A.I. Nondislocation plasticity and its role in the mass transfer and formation of the indentation under dynamic conditions. Physics of the Solid State, 2000, vol. 42, iss. 10, pp. 1865–1867. DOI: 10.1134/1.1318878.
- Sosin A., Koehler J.S. Electrical resistivity tensor for aluminum single crystals deformed at helium temperature. Physical Review, 1956, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 972–977.
- Sosin A., Brinkman J.A. Electrical resistivity recovery in cold-worked and electron-irradiated nickel. Acta Metallurgica, 1959, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 478–494.
- Meechan C.J., Sosin A. Recovery of electrical resistivity of Cu, Au, and Ni following cold work at 4oK. Journal of Applied Physics, 1958, vol. 29, pp. 738–739.
- Starikov S.A., Kuznetsov A.R., Karkina L.E., Sagaradze V.V. Ultimate theoretical strength of FCC Fe-Ni alloy polycrystals. Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures, 2015, iss. 6, pp. 58–62. DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2015.6.058-062. Available at: http://dream-journal.org/DREAM_Issue_6_2015_Starikov_S.A._et_al._058_062.pdf.
- Kuznetsov A.R., Starikov S.A., Sagaradze V.V., Stepanov I.A., Pechenkin V.A., Giersig M. Studying deformation-induced segregation in the Fe-Cr-Ni alloy. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2004, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 294–299.
- Starikov S.A., Kuznetsov A.R., Sagaradze V.V., Pechenkin V.A., Stepanov I.A. The model of deformation-induced segregation near a moving grain boundary in the Fe-Cr-Ni alloy. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2006, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 135–139. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X06080035.
- Starikov S.A., Kuznetsov A.R., Sagaradze V.V., Pechenkin V.A., Stepanov I.A. Influence of the temperature and rate of generation of point defects on the process of deformation-induced segregation in the Fe-Cr-Ni alloy. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2010, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 376–382. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X10040113.
- Starikov S.A., Kuznetsov A.R., Sagaradze V.V., Gornostyrev Yu.N., Pechenkin V.A., Stepanov I.A. Formation of grain boundary segregations in alloy Fe-Cr-Ni during strong deformation and radiation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2012, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 241–245. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X12030155.
- XMD - Molecular Dynamics for Metals and Ceramics, computer software 2011. Available at: http://xmd.sourseforge.net/about.html. [18 February 2011].
- Meyer R., Entel P. Martensite-austenite transition and phonon dispersion curves of Fe1−xNix studied by molecular-dynamics simulations. Physical Review B, 1998, vol. 57, iss. 3, pp. 5140–5143. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.57.5140.
- Stepanov I.A., Pechenkin V.A. Kinetics of Radiation-Induced Segregation at Grain Boundaries in Fe-Cr-Ni Alloys. Metally, 2003, no. 6, pp. 84–90. (In Russian).
- Marwick A.D. Calculation of bias due to solute redistribution in an irradiated binary alloy: surfaces of a thin foil. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 1985, vol. 135, iss. 1, pp. 68–76. DOI: 10.1016/0022-3115(85)90438-6.
- Watanabe S., Sakaguchi N., Kurome K., Nakamura M., Takahashi H. On the mechanism of radiation-induced segregation. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 1997, vol. 240, iss. 3, pp. 251–253. DOI: 10.1016/S0022-3115(96)00710-6.
- Lysova G.V., Birzhevoy G.A., Khramushin I.A. The investigation of the radiation-induced segregation of the elements near the surface of the Fe-20Cr-20Ni alloy after irradiation with iron ions. Journal of Surface Investigation: X-Ray, Synchrotron and Neutron Techniques, 2001, vol. 16, pp. 787–793.
- Sagaradze V.V., Shabashov V.A. Anomalous Diffusion Phase Transformations in Steels upon Severe Cold Deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2011, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 146–164. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X11020256.
- Starenchenko V.A., Pantyukhova O.D., Solov’eva Yu.V. Generation and accumulation of point defects in alloys with an L1(2) superstructure upon plastic deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2004, vol. 97, no. 6, pp. 545–551.
- Smirnov B.I. Vacancy Generation and Variation of Alkali Halide Crystal Density under Plastic Deformation. Fizika Tverdogo Tela, 1991, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 2513–2526. (In Russian).
- Kolupaeva S.N., Starenchenko V.A., Popov L.E. Neustoychivaya plasticheskaya deformatsiya kristallov [Instabilities of Plastic Deformation of Crystals]. Tomsk, Tomsk University Publ., 1994, 301 p. (In Russian).
- Akhiezer I.A., Davydov L.N. Vvedenie v teoreticheskuyu radiatsionnuyu fiziku metallov i splavov [Introduction into the Theoretical Radiation Physics of Metals and Alloys]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1985, 144 p. (In Russian).
- Lejcek P. Grain Boundary Segregation in Metals, Springer, Heidelberg, Dordrecht, London, New York, 2010, 239 p.
- Johnson R.A., Lam N.Q. Solute segregation in metals under irradiation. Physical Review B, 1976, vol. 13, iss 10, pp. 4364–4375. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.13.4364.
- Okamoto P.R., Rehn L.E. Radiation-induced segregation in binary and ternary alloys. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 1979, vol. 83, iss. 1, pp. 2–23. DOI: 10.1016/0022-3115(79)90587-7.
- Stepanov I.A., Pechenkin V.A. Modeling of radiation-induced segregation at grain boundaries in Fe-Cr-Ni alloys. In: Trudy sedmoy Rossiysskoy konferentsii po reaktornomu materialovedeniyu. T. 3. Ch. 3 [Proceedings of the 7th Conference on Reactor Material Science, vol. 3, part 3]. Dimitrovgrad, NIIAR Publ., 2004, pp. 212–230. (In Russian).
Deformation-Induced Segregation in Austenitic Alloys [Electronic resource] / S. A. Starikov, A. R. Kuznetsov, Yu. N. Gornostyrev, V. V. Sagaradze
// Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2016. - Iss. 6. - P. 48-62. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2016.6.048-062. -