A. Yu. Kaletin, Yu. V. Kaletina
EFFECT OF LOW-TEMPERATURE TEMPERING ON THE PROPERTIES OF STRUCTURAL CARBIDE-FREE BAINITIC STEELS
Mechanical properties of chromium-nickel-molybdenum-silicon steels with carbon contents of 0.18% and 0.27 % after slow continuous cooling with the cooling rate Vcool = 5 °С/min in the bainitic temperature range are investigated. It is shown that, after this heat treatment, a carbide-free bainitic structure is formed in the investigated steels, which is a two-phase mixture of carbon-depleted bainitic ferrite and carbon-enriched retained austenite with different morphology. The retained austenite in the carbide-free bainite is substantially enriched with carbon and contains its considerable part from the total carbon content in the steel. It is demonstrated that tempering for 1...2 hours at a temperature of 300 °С raises the values of impact strength of the 18Kh2N2SM and 27Kh2N2SM steels after slow continuous cooling, which have a different proportion of lower lath and upper globular bainite, retained austenite and martensite in their structure. It has been found that such tempering is accompanied by retained austenite stabilization due to a noticeable increase in carbon content in it.
Keywords: continuous cooling, carbide-free bainite, retained austenite, bainitic ferrite, carbon, cementite, mechanical properties, strength, impact strength.
- Bojarski Z., Bold T. Structure and properties of carbide-free-bainite. Acta Metallurgica, 1974, vol. 22, iss. 10, pp. 1223–1234. DOI: 10.1016/0001-6160(74)90136-9.
- Caballero F.G., Bhadeshia H.K.D.H. Very strong bainite. Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, 2004, vol. 8, iss. 3, pp. 251–257. DOI:10.1016/j.cossms.2004.09.005.
- García-Mateo C., Caballero F.G., Bhadeshia H.K.D.H. Mechanical Properties of Low-Temperature Bainite. Materials Science Forum, 2005, vols. 500–501, pp. 495–502. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.500-501.495.
- Bhadeshia H.K.D.H., Edmonds D.V. Bainite in silicon steels: new composition-property approach. Part I. Metal Science, 1983, vol. 17, iss. 9, pp. 411–419. DOI: 10.1179/030634583790420600.
- Khotinov V.A., Farber V.M., Morozova A.N. Evaluating the toughness of pipe steels by impact fracture curves. Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures, 2015, iss. 2, pp. 57–66. DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2015.2.057-066. Available at: http://dream-journal.org/DREAM_Issue_2_2015_Khotinov_V.A._et_al._57_66.pdf.
- Georgiev M.N., Kaletin A.Yu., Simonov Yu.N., Schastlivtsev V.M. Effect of stability of retained austenite on the crack resistance of structural steel. Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 1990, iss. 1, pp. 113–121. (In Russian).
- Kaletin A.Yu., Ryzhkov A.G., KaletinaYu.V. Enhancement of impact toughness of structural steels upon formation of carbide-free bainite. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2015, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 114–120. (In Russian).
- Caballero F.G., Garcia-Mateo C., Santofimia M.J., Miller M.K., Garcia de Andres C. New experimental evidence on the incomplete transformation phenomenon in steel. Acta Materialia, 2009, vol. 57, iss. 1, pp. 8–17. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2008.08.041.
- Caballero F.G., Miller M.K., Babu S.S., Garcia-Mateo C. Atomic scale observations of bainite transformation in a high carbon high silicon steel. Acta Materialia, 2007, vol. 55, iss. 1, pp. 381–390. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2006.08.033.
- Shchastlivtsev V.M., Kaletina Yu.V., Smirnov M.A., Kaletin A.Yu. The structure and properties of structural steels after thermomechanical treatment in the bainitic temperature range. Deformatsiya i Razrushenie Materialov, 2011, no. 4. pp. 1–9 (In Russian).
Kaletin A. Yu., Kaletina Yu. V. Effect of Low-Temperature Tempering on the Properties of Structural Carbide-Free Bainitic Steels [Electronic resource]
// Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2016. - Iss. 6. - P. 63-68. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2016.6.063-068. -