O. P. Shaboldo, Ya. M. Vitorsky, V. V. Sagaradze, E. G. Volkova, N. L. Pechorkina
EFFECT OF THERMOMECHANICAL TREATMENT ON THE FORMATION OF THE STRUCTURE OF HIGH-STRENGTH Nb- AND Ti-BASED ALLOYS
The paper studies the effect of heat treatment conditions on the microstructure of the LN-1 (Nb–10W–5Mo–1.5Zr–0.15C) and TS6 (Ti–10.5Cr–7V–4Mo–3Al–1Zr) alloys. It is shown for the LN-1 alloy that, under specific temperature conditions, a sufficiently high level of plasticity, necessary for subsequent deformation, is realized in the alloy. The structural studies have revealed the formation of finely dispersed niobium-zirconium carbides in the matrix during thermomechanical strengthening with the use of preliminary annealing. It is demonstrated that cold deformation by drawing (ε=24%) of the TS6 alloy leads to the formation of a cellular-band structure with high dislocation density along the cell boundaries. In the process of subsequent aging, the β-phase disintegrates with heterogeneous isolation of thin α-phase plates thus ensuring a considerable increase in the strength characteristics of the alloy.
Keywords: <p>high-temperature niobium alloys, carbides, β-titanium alloy, cold deformation, aging, α-phase, electron microscopy, mechanical properties, strengthening</p>
- Shaboldo O.P., Vitorsky Ya.M., Karashtin E.A. Spring materials made of high-temperature niobium- and nickel-based alloys. In: TsNII materialov – 100 let na blago Rossii [Central Research Institute of Materials – 100 Years for the Benefit of Russia]. St. Petersburg, 2012, pp. 125–136. (In Russian).
- Shaboldo O.P., Vitorsky Ya.M., Karashtin E.A., Vasiliev E.V., Sorokin M.V. Spring materials with special properties made of highly alloyed hard-to-deform thermomechanically hardenable high-strength alloys based on titanium, nickel and niobium. Metalloobrabotka, 2011, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 28–35. (In Russian).
- Savitsky E.M., Dashevskaya O.B. Dispersion hardening in niobium-based alloys. Izvestiya AN SSSR. Metally, 1967, no. 3, pp. 152–158. (In Russian).
- Bershtein M.L. Termomekhanicheskaya obrabotka metallov i splavov. T. 1. [Thermomechanical Treatment of Metals and Alloys, vol. 1.]. M., Metallurgiya Publ., 1968, 596 p. (In Russian).
- Khorev A.I. Creating a theory of heat treatment, thermomechanical treatment and texture hardening of promising titanium alloys. Materialovedenie, 2009, no. 4, pp. 28–36. (In Russian).
- Shaboldo O.P., Vitorsky Ya.M., Karashtin E.A. Creating a spring material based on the TS6 high-strength titanium β-alloy. In: TsNII materialov – 100 let na blago Rossii [Central Research Institute of Materials – 100 Years for the Benefit of Russia]. St. Peterburg, 2012, pp. 158–168. (In Russian).
- Friedrich H., Kiese J., Haldenwanger H.-G., Stich A. Titanium in Automotive Applications - Nightmare, Vision or Reality. In: Proceedings of the 10th World Conference on Titanium, Hamburg, Germany, 13–18 July, 2003, vol. V, editted by G. Liitjering and J. Albrecht, pp. 3393–3402.
- Kosaka Y., Faller K. Advance of beta titanium alloy TIMETAL LCB in automotive spring applications. Wire Journal International, 2006, vol. 39, no.4, pp. 87–93.
- Konno T.J., Miura E., Tanaka A., Hanada S. A TEM study on the semicoherent precipitates in Nb-19 % Mo alloy. Acta Materialia, 2005, vol. 53, iss. 6 pp. 1783–1789. DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2004.12.027.
- Viswanadham R.K., Wert C.A. Precipitation from supersaturated Nb-C solid solutions. Metallurgical transactions, 1974, vol. 5, pp. 123–126.
- Ivasishin O.M., Markovsky P.E., Allen P.G., Sawakin D.G., Matviychuk Yu.V. Rapid Heat Treatment of TIMETAL-LCB Alloy. In: Proceedings of the 9th World conference on Titanium, vol. 1, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 7–11 June, 1999. St.-Petersburg, CRISM “PROMETEY” Publ., 1999, pp. 505–512.
- Bhattacharjee A., Vydehi A. Joshi, Gogia A.K. Microstructure and tensile behavior of a low cost beta alloy. In: Proceedings of the 9th World conference on Titanium, vol. 1, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 7–11 June, 1999. St.-Petersburg, CRISM “PROMETEY” Publ., 1999, pp. 537–544.
Effect of Thermomechanical Treatment on the Formation of the Structure of High-Strength Nb- and Ti-Based Alloys / O. P. Shaboldo, Ya. M. Vitorsky, V. V. Sagaradze, E. G. Volkova, N. L. Pechorkina // Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2016. - Iss. 6. - P. 6-16. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2016.6.006-016. -