S. A. Barannikova, G. V. Shlyakhova, L. B. Zuev
STUDYING THE STRUCTURE OF THE ELEMENTS OF THE CABLE OF TECHNICAL SUPERCONDUCTORS BY ATOMIC FORCE MICROSCOPY
Microstructural evolution in a superconductive cable made of the Nb+47%Ti alloy and drawn to obtain intermediate reduction from Ø1.3 to Ø1.2 mm is studied by atomic force, optical and electron microscopies. This alloy is used for making current-carrying elements in the magnetic system of the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER). The aim of the paper is to analyze the effect of cold deformation by drawing on the structure of a Nb-Ti alloy-based multicore superconductor. The microstructures have been examined, as well as the effect they have on the properties of the cold-drawn superconductive Nb-Ti alloy. The micro structural parameters, such as grain and subgrain sizes, phase and chemical homogeneity of the grains, have been determined. Strain localization zones have been revealed in the sites of wire breakage. Changes in the chemical composition of Nb-Ti wires in defect-free breakage zones have been detected. It has been found that a diffusion Nb barrier is formed around the Nb-Ti wire placed in the copper binder.
Keywords: superconductors, defects, microstructure
- Ginzburg V.L., Andryushin E.A. Sverkhprovodimost [Superconductivity]. Moscow, Alfa-M Publ., 2006, 110 p. (In Russian).
- Shikov A.K., Nikulin A.D., Silaev A.G., Pantsyrnyi V.I., Vedernikov G.P., Dergunova E.A., Potanina L.V., Plashkin E.I., Sudyev S.V. Development of superconductors for the magnetic system of ITER in Russia. Izvestiya VUZov. Tsvetnaya metallurgiya, 2003, no. 1, pp. 36–43. (In Russian).
- Kozlenkova Nina I., Vedernikov Gennadi P., Shikov Alexander K., Potanina Ludmila V., Filatov Alexei V., Vorobieva Alexandra E., Pantsyrnyi Viktor I., Gubkin Igor N. Study on I/sub c/(T, B) for the NbTi strand intended for ITER PF insert coil. IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 2004, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 1028–1030. DOI: 10.1109/TASC.2004.830385.
- Lee P.J., Larbalestier D.C. Development of nanometer scale structures in composites of NbTi and their effect on the superconducting critical current density. Acta Metallurgica, 1987, vol. 35, iss. 10, pp. 2523–2536. DOI: 10.1016/0001-6160(87)90149-0.
- Cherny O.V., Tikhinsky G.F., Storozhilov G.E., Lazareva M.B., Kornienko L.A., Andrievskaya N.F., Slezov V.V., Sagalovich V.V., Starodubov Ya.D., Savchenko V.I. Niobiumtitanium superconductors with high current-carrying ability. Sverkhprovodimost. Fizika, khimiya, tekhnika, 1991, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 1617–1623. (In Russian).
- Mironov V.L. Osnovy skaniruyushchei zondovoi mikroskopii [Foundations of Scanning Probe Microscopy]. N. Novgorod, IFM RAN Publ., 2004, 110 p. (In Russian).
- Zuev L.B., Shlyakhova G.V., Barannikova S.A., Kolosov S.V. Research of a microstructure of elements of a cable from a superconducting alloy of Nb-Ti. Russian Metallurgy, 2013, vol. 2013, iss. 3, pp. 229–234. DOI: 10.1134/S0036029513030129.
- Shlyakhova G.V., Barannikova S.A., Zuev L.B. Studying the fine structure of the elements of technical superconducting cables. Fizika i khimiya obrabotki materialov, 2014, no. 4, p. 80–88. (In Russian).
- Shlyakhova G.V., Barannikova S.A., Zuev L.B. Studying the nanostructural elements of the cable of technical Nb-Ti superconductors. Izvestiya VUZov. Chernaya Metallurgiya, 2013, no. 10, pp. 64–67. (In Russian).
- Shlyakhova G.V., Barannikova S.A., Zuev L.B. Studying the centers of plastic strain localization in a Nb-Ti-based superconducting cable. Metallofizika i noveishie tekhnologii, 2013, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 453–465. (In Russian).
- Zuev L.B., Zavodchikov S.Y., Poletika T.M., Cheremnykh G.S., Filippov V.B., Belov V.I., Arzhakova V.M., Bocharov O.V., Shikov A.K. Phase composition, structure and plastic deformation localization in Zr1%Nb alloy. In: P. Rudling, B. Kammenzind, eds. Proceedings of the 14th International Symposium on Zirconium in the Nuclear Industry. West Conshohocken, ASTM, 2006, pp. 264–274. DOI: 10.1520/STP37511S.
- Zuev L.B., Danilov V.I., Barannikova S.A. Fizika makrolokalizatsii plasticheskogo techeniya [Physics of Plastic Flow Macrolocalization]. Novosibirsk, Nauka Publ., 2008. 327 p. (In Russian).
- Zuev L.B., Barannikova S.A. Experimental study of plastic flow macro-scale localization process: pattern, propagation rate, dispersion. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2014, vol. 88, pp. 1–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2014.06.012.