T. P. Tolmachev, V. P. Pilyugin, A. M. Patselov, T. M. Gapontseva, A. V. Plotnikov, R. V. Churbaev, A. V. Inozemtsev
FEATURES OF THE STRAIN-INDUCED DISSOLUTION AND STRUCTURE OF FRACTURE SURFACES IN Cu-Co ALLOYS
Cu–Co alloys containing various amounts of copper and cobalt have been synthesized by mechanical alloying at room temperature. The initial component ratio and the value of strain have an effect on the ultimate equilibrium solubility in the system, as well as on the fracture surfaces. The heterogeneity of fractures in the Cu-Co alloys is revealed after the fracture of the alloys with a predominant content of Co and Cu. An increase in strain leads to the formation of a uniformly distributed cleavage in a Cu-based alloy, as well as in the case of originally equiatomic alloys. In addition, the formation of a solid solution based on high-temperature modification of Co has been found.
Acknowledgements: The X-ray analysis was made in the laboratory of high-pressure physics, IMP UB RAS, Ekaterinburg. Electron microscopy was performed in the Nanotechnologies and Advanced Materials Testing Center, IMP UB RAS, Ekaterinburg.
The study was performed under a state assignment and supported by UB RAS, project No. 18-10-2-24.
Keywords: mechanical alloying, severe plastic deformation, high-pressure torsion, X-ray diffraction analysis, scanning electron microscopy, supersaturated solid solution, immiscible Cu-Co system
1. Barabash O.M., Koval Yu.N. Struktura i svoystva metallov i splavov [Structure and Properties of Metals and Alloys]. Kiev, Naukova Dumka Publ., 1986, 599 p. (In Russian).
2. Miedema A.R., De Chatel P.F., De Boer F.R. Cohesion in alloys – fundamentals of a semi-empirical model. Physica B, 1980, vol. 100, pp. 1–28. DOI: 10.1016/0378-4363(80)90054-6.
3. Drits M.E., Budberg P.B., Burkhanov G.S., Drits A.M., and Panovko V.M. Svoystva elementov. Spravochnoe izdanie [Properties of Elements: A Reference Book, ed by M.E. Drits]. Moscow, Metallurgiya Publ., 1985. (In Russian).
4. Zhang X., Atrens A. A TEM study on the microstructure of rapidly solidified Cu-Co alloys. Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, 1993, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 563–568. DOI: 10.1016/0956-7151(93)90086-8.
5. Bridgman P.W. Effects of High Shearing Stress Combined with High Hydrostatic Pressure. Physical Review, 1935, vol. 48, pp. 825–847. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRev.48.825.
6. Edalati K., Horita Z. A review on high-pressure torsion (HPT) from 1935 to 1988. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2016, vol. 652, pp. 325–352. DOI: 10.1016/j.msea.2015.11.074.
7. Glezer A., Kozlov E., Koneva N., Popova N., Kurzina I. Plastic Deformation of Nanostructured Materials, Boca Raton, CRC Press, 2017. DOI: 10.1201/9781315111964.
8. Straumal B.B., Kilmametov A.R., Korneva A., Mazilkin A.A., Straumal P.B., Zieba P., Baretzky B. Phase transitions in Cu-based alloys under high pressure torsion. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2016, vol. 707, pp. 20–26. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.12.057.
9. Mazilkin A.A., Straumal B.B., Kilmametov A.R., Boll T., Baretzky B., Kogtenkova O.A., Korneva A., Zięba P. Competition for impurity atoms between defects and solid solution during high pressure torsion. Scripta Materialia, 2019, vol. 173, pp. 46–50. DOI: 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2019.08.001.
10. Bachmaier A., Aboulfadl H., Pfaff M., Mücklich F., Motz C. Structural evolution and strain induced mixing in Cu–Co composites studied by transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography. Materials Characterization, 2015, vol. 100, pp. 178–191. DOI: 10.1016/j.matchar.2014.12.022.
11. Bachmaier A., Krenn H., Knoll P., Aboulfadl H., Pippan R. Tailoring the magnetic properties of nanocrystalline Cu-Co alloys prepared by high-pressure torsion and isothermal annealing. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2017, vol. 725, pp. 744–749. DOI: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.07.200.
12. Tolmachev T.P., Pilyugin V.P., Patselov A.M., Ancharov A.I., Inozemtsev A.V. Mechanical Alloying and Fracture Features of Non-Equilibrium Cu-Co Alloys. Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures, 2018, iss. 6, pp. 18–26. DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2018.6.018-026. URL: http://dream-journal.org/issues/2018-6/2018-6_235.html (accessed: 05.11.2019).13. Tonkov, E.Yu. Fazovye diagrammy elementov pri vysokom davlenii [Elements Phase Diagrams under High Pressure]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1979, p. 192. (In Russian).