D. I. Davidov, N. N. Stepanova, N. V. Kazantseva, M. B. Rigmant
APPLICATION OF MAGNETIC METHODS TO THE STUDY OF THE STRAIN STATE OF NICKEL-BASED SUPERALLOYS
Strain-induced magnetism is observed after severe high-temperature deformation in a gas turbine blade made from nickel-based superalloy. The appearance of ferromagnetic ordering in the initially paramagnetic alloy results from the formation of magnetic clusters inside the cuboids of the strengthening intermetallic phase (Ni3Al). The change in the values of magnetic susceptibility correlates with the change in the level of dynamic stresses and the number of stacking fault defects in different parts of the blade.
Acknowledgements: The research was done within the state assignment of FASO of Russia (theme “Crystal” No. 01201463333) supported in part by UB RAS project No. 15-17-2-11.
Keywords: nickel-based superalloy, magnetic properties, strain-induced magnetism, deformation, defects
1. Zeng Q., Baker I. The effect of local versus bulk disorder on the magnetic behavior of stoichiometric Ni3Al. Intermetallics, 2007, vol. 15, iss. 3, pp. 419−427. DOI: 10.1016/j.intermet.2006.08.010.
2. Takahashi S., Ikeda K.J. The influence of coldworking on magnetic properties in Ni3Al. Journal of Physics F: Metal Physics, 1983, vol. 13, pp. 2169−2174.
3. Yasuda H.Yu., Yanai T., Umakoshi Yu., Takahashi S. Fatigue behavior and magnetic property of Ni3 (Al,Ti) single crystals deformed at high temperatures. Scripta Materialia, 2001, vol. 44, pp. 581−586.
4. Baker I., Wu D. Strain-induced ferromagnetism in L12 compounds. TSM letters, 2005, vol. 2, pp. 57−58.
5. Stepanova N.N., Davydov D.I., Nichipuruk A.P., Rigmant M.B., Kazantseva N.V., Vinogradova N.I., Pirogov A.N., Romanov E.P. The structure and magnetic properties of a heat-resistant nickel-base alloy after a high-temperature deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2011, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 309–317. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X11030288.
6. Stepanova N.N., Rigmant M.B., Davidov D.I., Shishkin D.A. Analyze of magnetic properties and structure in Nickel gas turbine blade after operation at forced regime. Proceedings of Academics World 10th International Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 11th December, 2015, pp. 1–4. ISBN 978-93-85832-62-8.
7. Maslenkov S.B. Zharoprochnye stali i splavy [Heat-resistant steels and alloys. Reference book]. M., Metallurgiya, 1983, 192 p. (In Russian).
8. Tsukagoshi K., Muyama A., Masada J., Iwasaki Y., Ito E. Operating status of uprating gas turbines and future trend of gas turbine development. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Technical Review, 2007, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 1–6.
9. Umakoshi Y., Yasuda H.Y. Observation of lattice defects and nondestructive evaluation of fatigue life in FeAl and Ni3Al based alloy by means of magnetic measurement. Materials Science Forum, 2006, vol. 512, pp. 13–18.2. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.512.13.
10. Jahangiri M.R., Abedini M. Effect of long time service exposure on microstructure and mechanical properties of gas turbine vanes made of IN939 alloy. Materials & Design, 2014, vol. 64, pp. 588–600. DOI: 10.1016/j.matdes.2014.08.035.
11. Kazantseva N.V., Pilyugin V.P., Zavalishin V.A., Stepanova N.N. Effect of a nanosized state on the magnetic properties of Ni3 (Al,Fe) and Ni3 (Al,Со). The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2014, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 243–247.
12. Bhattacharya B., Ray R.K. Deformation behavior of a Ni3Al (B, Zr) alloy during cold rolling: Part II. Microstructural and textural changes. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 2000, vol. 31 (12), pp. 3011–3021. DOI: 10.1007/s11661-000-0080-8.