V. A. Shabashov, L. G. Korshunov, A. V. Litvinov, N. V. Kataeva, A. E. Zamatovsky
INCREASING THE DEPTH OF THE NITRIDED LAYER IN THE SURFACE OF AUSTENITIC ALLOYS USING FRICTION TREATMENT
In the Fe-12Cr-30Ni and Fe-15Cr-38Ni ion-plasma nitrided austenitic alloys the depth of the surface, gradient in concentration and phase composition, has been increased from 5 µm to 20 µm using dry sliding friction and high-pressure torsion in Bridgman anvils. The treatment is based on deformation-induced chromium nitride dissolution-precipitation cyclic phase transitions. As a result of 1 h nitriding at 500 ºC, a nitrogen solution in the Fe-Ni-Cr-N matrix and disperse nitrides of chromium CrN and iron Fe4N are formed in the alloy surface layers. Subsequent dry sliding friction or high-pressure torsion leads to nanostructuring, deformation-induced dissolution of chromium and iron nitrides, as well as to the mechanical alloying of the surface and the inner non-nitrided alloy layers. Besides, in the deformed austenitic matrix secondary chromium nitrides are formed. With additional 2 h annealing at 600 ºC, the additional exit of nitrogen from the austenitic Fe-Ni-Cr-N solid solution occurs, with the preferential formation of Cr2N nitride and the increase of the volume (depth) of the alloy matrix changed in terms of its structure and composition.
The reverse sequence, that is, preliminary friction and subsequent nitriding of the surface, does not noticeably increase the depth of the nitrided layer. It is explained by the accelerated migration of non-equilibrium grain boundaries in the surface nanostructured by friction, which reduces the time required for complete recrystallization to much less than the time of 1 h nitriding at 500 ºC. The result of fast recrystallization is the slight effect of fast diffusion in the surface nanostructured by friction.
Keywords: nitriding, deformation, Fe-Cr-Ni alloys, chromium nitrides
- Shabashov V.A., Borisov S.V., Litvinov A.V., Kataeva N.V., Afanas’ev S.V., Titova S.G. Producing a gradient-composition nanocrystalline structure on nitrided surfaces of invar-type Fe-Ni alloys using megaplastic deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2014, vol. 115, no. 9, pp. 871–883 DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X14090117.
- Shabashov V.A., Korshunov L.G., Sagaradze V.V., Kataeva N.V., Zamatovsky A.E., Litvinov A.V., Lyashkov K.A. Mossbauer analysis of deformation dissolution of the products of cellular decomposition in high-nitrogen chromium manganese austenite steel. Philosophical Magazine, 2014, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 668–682. DOI: 10.1080/14786435.2013.859758.
- Shabashov V.A., Borisov S.V., Litvinov A.V., Zamatovsky A.E., Lyashkov K.A., Sagaradze V.V., Vildanova N.F. Mechanomaking of nanostructure in nitrided Fe-Cr alloys by cyclic "dissolution-precipitation" deformation-induced transformations. High Pressure Research, 2013, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 795–812. DOI: 10.1080/08957959.2013.844230.
- Korshunov L.G., Shabashov V.A., Chernenko N.L., Pilyugin V.P. Effect of contact stresses on the phase composition, strength, and tribological properties of nanocrystalline structures formed in steels and alloys under sliding friction. Metal Science and Heat Treatment, 2008, vol. 50, no. 11–12, pp. 583–592. DOI: 10.1007/s11041-009-9103-2.
- Shabashov V.A., Borisov S.V., litvinov A.V., Zamatovsky A.E., Vil’danova N.F., Voronin V.I., Shepatkovsky O.P. Nanostructure formation and phase transformations in nitrided stainless steel Kh18N8 during severe cold deformation. The Physics of Metals and Metallography, 2009, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 601–612. DOI: 10.1134/S0031918X09060106.
- Teplov V.A., Pilyugin V.P., Kuznetsov R.I., Tupitsa D.I., Shabashov V.A., Gundyrev V.M. BCC®FCC phase translation induced by deformation under pressure in a Fe-Ni alloy. Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenie, 1987, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 93–100. (In Russian).
- Rusakov V.S. Mesbauerovskaya spektroskopiya lokalno-neodnorodnykh system [Mössbauer Spectroscopy of Locally Inhomogeneous Systems]. Almaty, OPNI IYaF NYaTs RK Publ., 2000, 431 p. (In Russian).
- Bozort R.M. Ferromagnetizm. Gl. 5. Splavy zhelezo-nikel [Ferromagnetism. Ch. 5. Iron-Nickel alloys. Toronto, D. van Nostrand Company Inc., 1951]. М., Inostrannaya literature Publ., 1975, p. 123. (In Russian).
- Men’shikov A.Z., Teplykh A.E. Magnetic state diagram of γ-FeNiCr alloys. Fizika Metallov i Metallovedenie, 1977, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1215–1221. (In Russian).
- Bansal C., Chandra J. Mössbauer studies in disordered (NiFe)1−xCrx alloys. Solid State Communications, 1976, vol. 19, iss. 2, pp. 107–109. DOI: 10.1016/0038-1098(76)90445-2.
- Rochegude P., Foct J. Influence of interstitial nitrogen on the thermal expansion of Fe64Ni36NXn alloys. Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia, 1992, vol. 27, iss. 3, pp. 325–328. DOI: 10.1016/0956-716X(92)90520-O.
- Ali-Zade I.I., Aliyev S.S., Karayeva Sh.N., Shamilov T.G., Shukyurov T.A. Effect of nitriding on the magnetic structure and properties of invar iron-nickel alloys. In: Trudy mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii “Fizika 2005” [“Physics 2005”: International Conference Proceedings, Azerbaijan, Baku, 7-9 June, 2005]. Baku, 2005, pp. 394–395. (In Russian).
- Shabashov V.A., Sagaradze V.V., Morozov S.V., Volkov G.A. A Mossbauer study of the kinetics of deformation-induced dissolution of intermetallics in Fe-Ni-Ti austenite. Metallofizika, 1990, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 107–114. (In Russian).
- Kolobov Yu.R., Valiev R.Z., Grabovetskaya G.P., Zhilyaev A.P., Dudarev E.F., Ivanov K.V., Kashin O.A., Naidenkin E.V. Zernogranichnaya diffuziya i svoistva nanostrukturnykh materialov [Grain Boundary Diffusion and Properties of Nanostructured Materials]. Novosibirsk, Nauka Publ., 2001, 232 p. (In Russian).
- Smolyakova M.Yu., Vershinin D.S., Kolobov Yu.R., Chernikov S.V., Stogney O.V., Tregubov I.M. The effect of nitriding at low temperatures on tribological and magnetic properties of austenitic stainless steel. Inorganic Materials: Applied Research, 2012, vol. 3, iss. 5, pp. 440–445. DOI: 10.1134/S2075113312050164.
Increasing the Depth of the Nitrided Layer in the Surface of Austenitic Alloys Using Friction Treatment [Electronic resource] / V. A. Shabashov, L. G. Korshunov, A. V. Litvinov, N. V. Kataeva, A. E. Zamatovsky
// Diagnostics, Resource and Mechanics of materials and structures. -
2016. - Iss. 6. - P. 17-27. -
DOI: 10.17804/2410-9908.2016.6.017-027. -